Sunday, February 26, 2012

Gym-A-Phobe

That's me.

Five weeks into my first ever diet/weight-loss regime (with a few failures along the way), and I have yet to go near the gym. Which is really very sad. I'm sure that if I had been exercising regularly I would have lost a whole lot more than just 7 pounds. Sure, I've got constant calisthenics going on and random bouts of jumping jacks, but it's just not really cutting it. What I need is something that will push me hard - something I'm going to absolutely hate...but love afterward.

Le gym.
...The very same gym I've had a paid membership at for months now.
...The very same gym I've never ever used.

A bit pathetic, I know, but Monday morning at 5:30 AM is going to change everything.

Hello, Bootcamp! I am SO scared to meet you!

Even so - I'm going to do it. And I'll probably be so out of my comfort zone that I'll want to cry, I'll look awkward and weak, but hey - I've got to start somewhere right? Plus, I've been afraid of gyms for so long that it's about time I cross that barrier once and for all. It's just that...in my head all women at the gym look like this:


...And actually know how to use the machines and whatnot. Then there's me, in my loose t-shirt and too-huggy stretchy pants, somehow getting my head stuck in a leg machine. Lol. (Just an example - but it wouldn't surprise me) But then I heard about our local Crossfit-inspired training, aka "Bootcamp", and I was intrigued. It's comforting to know that there are no weight machines, no mirrored walls, and that everyone goes their own pace - albeit, you're supposed to crank the workout as quickly/efficiently as possible with minimum to no resting. Still - there's no one hovering over you - you have to push yourself.

Taken from the Crossfit Draper website:

What is Crossfit? It’s an effective fitness program consisting of constantly varied, functional movements executed at high intensity.
That said - it's a given that this thing will kick my trash, but that's the point. I need a serious dose of motivation and Bootcamp is guaranteed to make me work harder than I do on my own.

So...time to just suck it up and jump in.
(Wish me luck.)

Links about Crossfit!
http://crossfit.com/
http://www.crossfitdraper.com/about/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzD9BkXGJ1M





No comments:

Post a Comment