Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Going Green

Green smoothie, Green Smoothie Recipe, Green Smoothie Recipes, green smoothies.

Green smoothies have been all the rage for a while now, but I'd never tried one until just recently and I haven't been able to get enough since. So, before I go on about the yummy taste, palatable texture and the large list of health benefits, let me just debunk a few myths that had kept me from "going green" in the past.

MYTH 1: You need an expensive blender.
I have a $40 version from Walmart that's about 7 years old and it works just great, so don't freak out about forking upwards of three hundred dollars for a blender(though a Vitamix or Blendtec would be fabulous!) If your blender can handle ice (I use crushed from my freezer), chances are it will be able to blend up apple slices just fine and dandy. 

MYTH 2: It's torture to drink.
I love my baby spinach, but thinking of drinking down two-cups of it in one sitting just didn't sound so amazing to me. Thing is: the fruit completely evens out the taste. I have never prepared a green smoothie that tasted like grass, or anything unfavorable, for that matter.

MYTH 3: Produce is too expensive.
I'll still agree that yes, produce is expensive, but eating healthy really relies on a large amount of raw foods because they are so good for you! It's well worth it. I've discovered that I actually save money now that I am spending it on fresh produce instead of canned or processed food, candy and other fattening snack foods.

The beauty of a green smoothie is that you can prepare it any way you like. You can experiment and try new flavors and find a taste and texture that suits you best. But lets jot down a few things that you definitely need to keep in mind before you whip out the fruits and veggies. You will need:

- Liquid (Water or almond milk)
- Dark leafy greens (I prefer spinach and kale)
- Fruits 
- Ice (optional, but I prefer it with ice)

In any order, pile the ingredients into the blender, making sure to add at least a couple big handfuls of dark leafy greens. Pour in about a half-cup of liquid and blend! People may say that there is no wrong way, but what you do not want is a liquidy and frothy smoothie where all the pulp sinks to the bottom. To avoid this, make you sure add some soluble-fiber fruits such as banana or mango to thicken up the texture and eliminate froth. This will create a more palatable, creamy texture and a milder, yummier taste as well. 

Health benefits of drinking green smoothies are:

- Easy to digest. When blended well, most of the cells in the fruit and greens rupture, making it easy for the body to absorb valuable nutrients.
- Green smoothies have fiber, unlike fruit juice. Consuming fiber is essential to our elimination system.
- When consuming your greens in the form of a smoothie, you are greatly reducing oils and salt in your diet.
- Green smoothies provide a ton of nutrients, including protein and amino acids.
- They are filling and promote weight loss. The high water and fiber content make you feel full, they provide a lot of sustenance and depending on the ingredients, can be a very low calorie snack/meal.

So what are you waiting for? Whip out that blender and give it a try! Have a favorite recipe? Leave a comment, I'd love to hear it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment